Let's go somewhere! - I Miss My Electric Toothbrush - CycleBlaze

Let's go somewhere!

So, now that we had the tent, we had to go somewhere.  We only had a week's window of time, after the BC Day long weekend and before my cycling groups getaway to the Sunshine Coast (not cycle touring).

We love camping at Ruckle Provincial Park on Salt Spring Island, though cycling on Salt Spring isn't our favourite thing.  Two nights at Ruckle, then.  What else?

Galiano Island?  The camping is at Montague Provincial Park, but unlike Ruckle, it's essentially all reservable and is fully booked through to the end of September.  No Galiano, then.

A search of other Gulf Islands yielded only a couple of campground that were open and not booked up, both on Saturna Island.  The private one has a "shower house facility" that is closed this year, but sites are still $35 per night.  The one in the Gulf Islands National Park Reserve has no potable water or any water at all.  Plus, getting to Saturna takes multiple ferries with very limited service.  We'll skip it and go directly to Victoria from Salt Spring.

We wanted to visit Victoria to see the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibit at the Royal BC Museum.  We had planned to go towards the end of March (the exhibit was set to close at the end of March) but when everything closed, we thought we'd missed our chance.  But when the museum reopened, we learned that the exhibit had been extended through Labour Day.  And when we asked, Al's brother and his wife said, yes, we could stay with them.

From there, it's an easy ride on the Galloping Goose out to the Sooke Potholes Campground for a night or two.  Planning is complete.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0