Day 7: To just outside Aalborg - To Belgium with Kevin - CycleBlaze

August 1, 2022

Day 7: To just outside Aalborg

I was up with Kevin again at 5:30 to give Dea a chance to sleep. It might sound incredibly noble of me to keep doing that, but actually I only naturally sleep for seven hours before waking up and the early nights camping mean I’m quite happy to be up at that hour, especially as I get a little extra quality time with Kevin. Sometime after seven everybody else began to wake up and we ate breakfast and got ready for the day, all of which is just a very boring prelude to some incredibly cute baby photos.

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

We said our goodbyes when Kevin began rubbing his eyes and he was soon sleeping through the lovely railway trail bike path all over again. It was a beautiful sunny day, albeit a bit windy, and just really nice to be back on such a great bike path. We whizzed past Neptune and wondered whether they had bothered to make Pluto. Indeed they had and we were soon on our way beyond the far reaches of the solar system.

Dea was towing Kevin today. You may have noticed the little orange flag we had on the trailer got lost, so we replaced it with a hi-viz. Safety first.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Pluto was very small.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Beyond Pluto the solar winds became too much and we had to take the hi-viz down. Not much need for it out here anyway.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We mixed things up by passing straight through Vegger and instead taking a break at a nice little park in the tiny village of Halkær instead. This was a lovely spot for us to sit and a lovely spot for Kevin to worm around on the floor. He wriggled further than ever before and we were so happy to see him still developing during this journey.

He has also started showing a lot more interest in grabbing different objects and investigating them.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Almost always by putting them in his mouth.
Heart 4 Comment 0

As we left the little park I encouraged Dea to cycle past me so I could get a great action photo of her cycling. “Look natural,” I said. Here’s the photo.

I think she must have misheard me.
Heart 7 Comment 0

Anyway, I tried again, and it got better:

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

We followed the path to Nibe, where we took a break in the same park we’d stopped in on the way out. It felt quite strange to be going back the way we’d come. Everything felt shorter and there was less of a feeling of excitement about it, because we already knew it all. But we were really settled into our rhythm now and still really enjoying it all. It felt like a shame we would soon be back in Aalborg and heading home. Lucky we have the longer trip to Belgium still to come then!

From Nibe it was more bike path back to the same brug min baghave we had stayed at on the first night, and it passed quickly due to a very nice tailwind. Come to think of it, maybe that’s why everything felt shorter on the ride back, because we had the wind with us! 

This time we were hosted by Ilka and Christian, who had been away with their two younger sons when we had visited the first time (and left us with their teenage boy). They were really, really nice people who invited us inside for a drink and a chat. They seem to have similar values and interests to us and it was really easy to talk with them. I liked them a lot, and I like so much how bike touring can bring people together like that. This little tour would be ending the next day, but I still wanted more!

Can’t get enough of this!
Heart 8 Comment 0

Today's ride: 34 km (21 miles)
Total: 146 km (91 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Sandra LawnHi Kevin, Chris and Dea

Well Kevin you have the best Mum and Dad in the world taking you on a cycle tour. I followed your Dads journal round the world tour, awesome to see you back on the road as a gang of three. It gives me great pleasure to see the next generation on tour with their parents.

When cycling in Europe I enjoyed seeing cycling families stopped in parks for extended break/play times. You will soon learn that all kids need to keep them on happy on holiaday is water, a swing, a slide, a stick, a puddle. They’re not really interested in Cathedrals unless there are pigeons which there usually are.

Thanks for sharing your journal, I think everyone is looking forward to your next tour Kevin keep up the hard work.

Cheers
Kiwi Sandy
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacob AshtonHi Kevin, Chris, and Dea!
I didn't know you were out cycling again but I'm looking forward to following your journey!
Happy trails,

Jacob
Reply to this comment
1 year ago