Day 28: To Deventer - To Belgium with Kevin - CycleBlaze

September 6, 2022

Day 28: To Deventer

There was a little bit of light rain in the night but it soon cleared up when we got up. Our hosts still invited us to sit inside and talk with them for a bit. Leo and his wife (whose very Dutch name I didn’t catch well enough to dare to try and spell) were very friendly people. Their kindness this morning was particularly generous given that their bedroom was facing the garden and they had been woken up many times in the night by our screaming child. We don’t know why but Kevin has started waking more in the night and waking everyone else with his screams too. Luckily he is so cute that everyone forgives him very easily.

Leo with his first and quite probably last Welcome To My Garden guest baby.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Leo has made a book about children’s drawings and what they mean. He showed it to us and explained it with great enthusiasm. It was all in Dutch but he hopes to get it published in different languages and we’d love to buy it one day. 

Heart 6 Comment 0

The day was hot and sunny but quite uneventful. We took small roads for the first half of the day, stopping for a break after an hour as usual. Then we took bike paths into the city of Deventer and took our second break in a park.

First break in the forest.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Second break in the city.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There were some sort of ruins in the park but I don’t know what!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

We then cycled through Deventer, a city with a lot of cyclists and a lot of good cycling infrastructure. I’m afraid I didn’t get a good photo of it though, so here is a bad one:

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

Our hosts in Deventer were well known to us. It was the Dutch family - Jurgen and Barbara and their sons Joris and Robin - who had stayed with us as warmshowers guests a month ago. They had been on a tour around the south of Denmark but had stopped with us for three nights so that they had time to go and visit Lego House. We had had a really great time together playing football and games and hearing about all the cycling they had done together as a family. Now it was our turn to arrive on their doorstep on our bikes and it was really great to see them again. “Look what I got,” Robin said about five minutes after we arrived. It was Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza, a game that we had introduced to them and that he had just received for his tenth birthday. “Do you want to play?!” 

“Yes, and I also want to have a competition to see who is taller, me and Kevin, or you two!”
Heart 10 Comment 0

Today's ride: 27 km (17 miles)
Total: 928 km (576 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 0