Day 10: Rest day in Itzehoe - To Belgium with Kevin - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2022

Day 10: Rest day in Itzehoe

Holger and Sandra were good enough to let us take a rest day and stay another night. It was our first of the trip and it felt like the right time and place to give Kevin a break.

Our hosts were at work most of the day so we had time to ourselves. One of the things we did have to get done was the rebooking of all our trains from Belgium to England. We had originally booked them for the 5th of September but based on our progress so far that was typically over optimistic. Rather than rushing or resorting to other transport, we decided to just put everything back by two weeks and travel on the 19th instead. That gives us plenty of time to enjoy the ride now without stressing or asking too much of Kevin, and we can get in a few more rest days along the way too. It does mean we won’t be able to cycle all the way home from Belgium as it would mean cycling into November, but that’s okay because this blog is called to Belgium with Kevin, not to Belgium and back with Kevin.

Our progress so far is best described as steady.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The previous evening we had asked if there was anything to see or do in Itzehoe and Sandra had looked doubtful before saying, “there’s a McDonald’s.” She told us it wasn’t a beautiful town and there wasn’t much to see other than the nature around, but there was a lake nearby that we could walk around. That sounded like a great afternoon activity and it’s what we did.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Kevin wasn’t very impressed by having his walk held up by his mother picking berries.
Heart 6 Comment 0
It was a very nice and peaceful place.
Heart 7 Comment 0

We had another nice dinner and nice evening with Holger and Sandra. We have really enjoyed their company and it’s been so great to have a day off and recharge a bit. Tomorrow we look forward to getting back on the road and continuing our slow and steady progress towards Belgium.

Heart 8 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0