To Saint Maximim La St Baume: The orage is over - Three Reasons for Riding Across Europe - CycleBlaze

October 4, 2015

To Saint Maximim La St Baume: The orage is over

By the time we got back to the hotel from lunch yesterday the 'orage' was in full swing. We felt very smug about deviating to Aix and having another day there. The Caravelle was a beautifully snug hotel smelling deliciously of lavender, even in the lift, so we watched two games of World Cup rugby (fell pretty sorry for England but Aussie were superb) watched them call off the Nice against ?football match and try hopelessly to get the water out of the stadium. Ate the yummy food we bought at the Boulangerie, drank wine, ate chocolate and by mid night it was all over. It will however give the French News Channels something to talk about for days.

The morning was fine but very soon there was a thick fog so we had our slashing red lights in operation. Route finding is not easy here and we continue to be thankful to Karen on Komoot, she even put us on a dedicated cycle trail for about 16 km into Tretts. There was a market going on but it was a poor relation compared to the one in Aix. We with all the other cyclists stopped for coffee and the fog cleared. This cycleway into Tretts is clearly very popular as there were lots of runners and cyclists,who we saw when they took off their helmets were passed the first flush of youth. Along the way we met a lost dog, not unlike Jess, who decided that perhaps if she followed us we would either find her home or give her a kind new one. It always feels distressing when you chase them away and see that dejected look.

After Tretts the fog had gone but we had for most of the time no alternative but to be on busy roads. Got off them for a while through Pourrieres where we had lunch and made friends with a very friendly cat - she wasn't lost she just liked the fact that we fed her cheese.

Saint-Maximin-LaSainte-Baume is a a great little town. We have explored it and the Basilica of Saint Marie Magdalene. It was built about 1290 and around that time they found the remains of Mary Magdaline. Her scull is now on display in a sarcophagus in the crypt, not a very pretty sight. Attached to the church was a convent for Benedictine Nuns. This has been turned into a very flash hotel but we were able to walk in the calm and leafy cloisters.

Tomorrow we will just do another short day.

Paella in the market
Heart 0 Comment 0
France's next hope for the Tour de France
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is what it looked like when the fog lifted
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mount Victoria
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's not flat
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cat that liked cheese
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Hotel de France
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Bascillica
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cloisters
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is serious
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 3,172 km (1,970 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0