To Nice Airport: The wheels stop turning - Three Reasons for Riding Across Europe - CycleBlaze

October 13, 2015

To Nice Airport: The wheels stop turning

Had a day yesterday of mailing back maps and then just poking around the old town and visiting the Cathedral. About lunchtime it started to rain so we retreated to our hotel and read our books. We have had 3 nights in Nice and each night we have gone to the same restaurant and Ken has had the same meal - grilled sardines, goodness knows what the waiter is thinking, he will be wondering what has happened to us when Ken doesn't turn up tonight for his sardine fix. It was still raining in the morning when we went for breakfast but thank goodness by the time we had to check out it had stopped . Getting the bikes down the steep winding stairs wasn't nearly as difficult as getting them up.

Even though it was such a short ride it was good to be back on the bikes. We rode on past the airport and had our last picnic looking over a little port. Then we turned round and back to the Ibis Budget Hotel at the Airport and the wheels of the bikes stopped turning for the last time. The pack up wasn't as easy as we thought it would be as there was nowhere outside to clean up and dismantle the bikes. We had to take them to our room on the fifth floor and this was tiny. This all wasn't helped by the fact that we went to the wrong room first! Anyway we got to work, thankful the room only had Vinyl on the floor and in about an hour or so the bikes were in their bags and I had washed the floor. Now how were we going to get everything to the airport tomorrow. The receptionist said, you just walk, terminal 1 is only 300 m away and if you need a shuttle to terminal 2 get one from there. He then suggested we go over to the terminal now and get a trolley. We did just that so now we are in a tiny room with our bikes all packed up, a big airport trolley and our packed luggage - a little crowded.

Leaving Hotel Rex - it really was rather a dump but the location was fantastic
Heart 0 Comment 0
Goodbye Nice
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our last picnic
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taking them apart again
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 20 km (12 miles)
Total: 3,429 km (2,129 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0