To Lyon: Not for the faint hearted - Three Reasons for Riding Across Europe - CycleBlaze

September 22, 2015

To Lyon: Not for the faint hearted

We had a lovely meal last night and being Beaujolais country some very nice Beaujolais to accompany it. I am worried that I might be putting back on all the weight I lost at the beginning of the trip but I really like French food. This morning it was down the hill and back on to the D933 that we had travelled on for so much of the day yesterday. There was a difference though because after Trevous the traffic got really heavy and there were lots of trucks. It was still very undulating but the saving grace was that for a lot of the way there was a good hard shoulder and French motorists are very respectful of cyclists. I didn't see any of the passing landscape though nor did we take any photos as we were just too busy concentrating on keeping safe.

When we got to Neuville sur Soane in a mass of confused traffic there was a cafe so taking our lives in our hands we crossed the road and had a reviving cup of coffee. Here we had to cross the river as all the roads on that side were a menacing red and on the other side was another the D51 which was a more reassuriing yellow. We crossed over and it was as if we were in another world. There were now no more trucks and very much lighter traffic and a much wider hard shoulder marked for bikes and what is more as it was right beside the river it was flat and had interesting views all along it. Ken was even able to stop and take photos. Coming into Lyon itself things got even better as there was a fantastic cycleway beside the river - what a wonderful entrance into a big city. We stopped for lunch beside the river and who should come along but the touring German cyclist we had seen in Macon at the Tourist Information looking for a route to Lyon. He too had stayed in Asne last night but was going to press on today and see if he could get a little way along the Via Rhona - the route we will now be following.

A wander through the old town and we found our hotel which is near the Gare Pernache. There is an attractive park near by but the most amazing tangle of rail tracks, motorways and station buildings. We have had a good wander around and under all this chaos it seems calm.

Back over river to the D933
Heart 0 Comment 0
The scary part is over!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This looks like a fun playground
Heart 0 Comment 0
An interesting building
Heart 0 Comment 0
A little castle in the middle of the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hurrah!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bike path along the river
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 2,757 km (1,712 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0