To Hamilin: It's a fairy tale world - Three Reasons for Riding Across Europe - CycleBlaze

August 14, 2015

To Hamilin: It's a fairy tale world

I woke in the middle of the night to the flash of lightening and the roll of thunder. I went out on to the balcony but there was no rain yet, shortly after it came, it had that delicious smell of new rain, it pelleted down and I felt the temperature fall. In the morning the road was once more dry and the temperature had become to climb but hopefully it won't be as hot as yesterday.

A really lovely breakfast of fresh berries and smoked salmon and we were out of the hotel by 7.30. By then it was warming up and pretty humid. Once again the track was lovely and well shaded a lot of the way. I was really enjoying the grey herons which stood like elegant statues and took off with lazy ease when we were almost on them. Then they only flew a short distance and once more displayed their beauty.

Before too long we came to Polle. It was across the river from us. Polle is the home of Cinderella and on the hill high over the river we could see the ruin of the Earl of Everstein's Castle where Cinderella went to the ball. There is said to a beautiful view up there but lacking a pumpkin to take us up the hill we gave it a miss. On we rolled there were apple trees lining our way all day so it is clear why it was an apple that was used to attempt to poison Snow White. One of the interesting things is that every apple tree is different, mostly green apples but some red. They must be self sown and looking at them they were disease free. It won't be very long now until they are ripe.

One of the disappointments of today was we didn't come to a coffee stop, it was either too early or else the shop was across the river on a ferry and with the day hotting up we didn't want to take the time of a ferry ride. We stopped for water and peaches and then at around 11.30 about 10 km from Hamilin stopped for our usual lunch of Brotchen and peaches

.Hamilin is I think known to everyone in the Western World. It is of course the legend of the Pied Piper that made it famous. Today's wealth was gained due to its convenient position as a trading centre on the Wesser. It is a cultural and tourist centre absolutely teaming with visitors. Our 1645 hotel, the Hotel Krone is right in the bustle of the main pedestrian street. The museum is across the road and there has been a guide dressed as the Pied Piper leading groups of tourists. What I like best however are the little bronze rats that are inserted at intervals along the cobbled streets.

A horse drawn hay wagon
Heart 0 Comment 0
She went to the ball at this castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
First large craft we saw on the river
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hot and sleepy sheep
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ken would love to go on holiday like this with a 1961 2 cylinder Goldner pulling a caravan
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Goldner
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautifully restored windmill along the track
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Pied Piper leads the tourists
Heart 0 Comment 0
I love the rats in the cobbles
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Pied Piper
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 424 km (263 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0