To Cannes: Having a lovely time with Claire and Jacques - Three Reasons for Riding Across Europe - CycleBlaze

October 8, 2015

To Cannes: Having a lovely time with Claire and Jacques

Karen thought that it would be a good idea if our route to Cannes was over the Massif de L'Esterel, we disagreed. The route we decided to take was one I found on a website of Cycle Touring in the Cote d'Azure. It followed the coastline above the cliffs all on roads and was described as having no commercial traffic and not too much other traffic till after 10am when the Tourist traffic started. It also described it as being a favourite of local cyclists and that there was significant climbing up and down over the cliffs. It said it was a very good ride - all this proved to be true.

Frejus was a mass of activity this mornings. Annually there are Mountain bike Races in Frejus over 4 days. Today was the first day of them and as we set off there were lots of earnest looking, fit young men warming up on their flash looking bikes with numbers attached, we looked like old draught horses. So it was around this spectacular coast on one side was the sea often at the bottom of a shear cliff and on the other the spectacular brick red massive. There were lots of cyclists on their racing bikes but of course as usual not another touring cyclist. Going up one of the hills one of the pelaton detached himself and gave me a push up the hill much to both of our amusement.

Down off the hills we were into Cannes, the traffic wasn't too bad but when we got right in to the town their was the most tremendous rush of people, we really had difficulty just pushing our bikes along. Our goal was to reach the station and is here that we are now waiting for Claire and Jacque who are very kindly having us spend the night with them. It was easy of course to recognise Claire and Jacques when they arrived on their bikes. We set off up the hill in the busy afternoon traffic it certainly was goo to have them to follow. Their appartment is on the fifh floor with a great view over the bay. We were certainly made very welcome , had a lovely meal and as you can imagine lots of cycling talk. Thank you very much.

St Raphael
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wonderful massif
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The train bridge - there are still very few trains running because of the floods
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of cyclists on the road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I love the colours
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cannes in the distance
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beach at Cannes
Heart 0 Comment 0
A prewar classic Citron van
Heart 0 Comment 0
Local Enterprise
Heart 0 Comment 0
Meeting Claire and Jacque
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 3,344 km (2,077 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0