To Arras: Riding through small towns which certainly aren' t 'touristy' France - Three Reasons for Riding Across Europe - CycleBlaze

September 2, 2015

To Arras: Riding through small towns which certainly aren' t 'touristy' France

The weather looked as if it would be pretty good today with the possibility of a few showers in the afternoon which fortunately held off. Our aim today was Arras further than we had originally meant to go and there were a couple of places on the way that Ken was keen to go through. With a combination of French Road Maps and the GPS we really had few navigational problems. The first place on the list was Fromelles where there is an Australian Cemetery and Memorial. Then it was on to Arras via Lens. We had been somewhat concerned about what it would be like riding through the centre of Lens but apart from some circles we did in a town about half way along it was really very straightforward though at times the traffic got pretty heavy. We are impressed by the French drivers they are not impatient and if the roads are narrow they just seem happy to sit in behind you until there is room to pass.

The road from Lens to Arras goes over Vimy Ridge and it is here that the extremely impressive Canadian Memorial is. This is a really beautiful place and has on it the names of 13000 Canadians who died on the Western Front with no know grave. The surrounds have been left as they were with shell holes and mine craters just left and the grass has grown over them. Yes Grampies we thought of you. The climb up there was particularly taxing and I felt proud that I rode nearly all the way up without walking. I had expected a lovely downhill all the way to Arras but this was only partly true as the GPS was up to its mean tricks and putting us on 'unmade' roads no doubt to keep us off busy ones.

Our hotel here in Arras is right in the Place des Heros next to the Hotel de Ville and by some coincidence is exactly the same one we stayed in seven years ago when we rode the Via Francigina. the room is small but it is adequate. We have been booking ahead on booking.com and really finding it very satisfactory as it is good to be expected and for the hotelier to know in advance that they need to find lodging for our precious bikes. We can easily put the address of the hotel in the GPS so finding it is no particular problem.

Arras of course has an amazing underground history. It is here that the NZ Tunnelling Corp, mainly miners from the West Coast took advantage of the limestone and built a system of of caves capable of housing 20000 men with living quarters, hospitals etc. Kiwis are well remembered in Arras.

Last night we had gallettes and cidre for dinner
Heart 0 Comment 0
We crossed some big canals
Heart 0 Comment 0
This has been mining country but there are still big slag heeps
Heart 0 Comment 0
Remains of the war
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Canadian War Memorial on Vimy Ridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the many names
Heart 0 Comment 0
The magnificent view from the memorial, You can imagine what the climb up had been like
Heart 0 Comment 0
The land has been left as it was
Heart 0 Comment 0
We dont like it when the GPS gives you a road like this
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Hotel de Ville in Arras
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 1,644 km (1,021 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0