The Train to Fontainebleau: learning about ice hockey - Three Reasons for Riding Across Europe - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2015

The Train to Fontainebleau: learning about ice hockey

With Ken's buckled wheel and a rather uncertain route out of Paris to Fontainebleau we decided to take the train. Once more we breakfasted at a local Boulangerie loaded up our bikes and pushed them over to the Gare de Lyon. At the station we met some lovely people from Melbourne who had recently finished cycling along the Loire then we found the train and it was only a little over half an hour from central Paris to Fontainebleau. Found the Ibis very easily, unloaded then off to find the bike shop which was not quite as easy. They will repair Ken's wheel and give both bikes a good check over and we will pick up the bikes at midday tomorrow.

The real reason for coming to Fontainebleau is to see our niece Louise and her family who have been living here for a couple of years. It was so great to see her again as I haven't seen her for around 7 years and haven't seen their 10 year old Pantakan since he was a very little boy. Loiuse had cooked a lovely meal and then it was off to the very important event of the evening icehockey. It was the practice night and it all looked very fast and furious to me. Pantakan was very keen to give us good tips on the finer points of the game.

Coming back was pretty exciting as we drove for a long way through the Fontainebleau Forest and what should run out in front of us but 5 wild pigs. Louise had previously told us there were pigs in the forest but she had never seen them

Goodbye to Paris
Heart 0 Comment 0
Practising under the house
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the rink - it is reasonably cold as a spectator
Heart 0 Comment 0
Action shot
Heart 0 Comment 0
The whole crew
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 4 km (2 miles)
Total: 1,960 km (1,217 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0