Kelsterbach to Hanau: We always seem to strike problems on our first day biking - Three Reasons for Riding Across Europe - CycleBlaze

August 4, 2015

Kelsterbach to Hanau: We always seem to strike problems on our first day biking

It was amazing we slept until about 6am. breakfast of muesli, yoghurt and carrot juice in our room then a pack up but we weren't away till after 8. Ken had worked out the way out last night, we stopped to buy some brotchen for lunch then we were off. Everything was working like a dream then Ken's chain came off and got horribly stuck and it wasn't until he was completely covered in oil that the bike was ridable again. Then a navigational error, Jane would have said that it was the opportunity for an adventure but it didn't feel like that. There seemed to be bike tracks everywhere but no indication of where they led. I had bought a Garmin touring Plus GPS loaded with European Cycle Maps so I fired it up and miraculously we did some wiggles and we were on a super bike highway the R3 going in the direction we needed to.

Our intention was to catch the train to Fulda but our super highway seemed to be going there, it would take us around 3 days so there was a change of plans and tonight's destination became Hanau, the birth place of the brothers Grimm. It was hot but the path was magnificent and lead us along the Main past Frankfurt where lots of bouncy castles and such delights were being set up. Along we went until eventually we came to a caravan selling coffee, I was beginning to wilt so I had a Fanta. I just love going across in ferries and there was one here to take us to the R3 on the other side of the river. Just before Hanau we stopped and ate our lunch.

Hanau when we got to it was a suprise as it is a fairly big and very spread out town. We didn't have the slightest idea where to find the Tourist Information or a hotel and it was at this time the GPS ran out of batteries. They seemed to be digging up the whole town but people are very keen to help. The first person we asked however came from Wattle Downs, a suburb of a Auckland close to us. When I said we were from Pokeno he immediately said Pokeno Bacon but I assured him that was not me it was my friend Helen.

Eventually we found this ovepriced hotel (85E). Our room is up on the 4th floor with no lift, we have to share a bathroom and my bed is a sofa bed. The breakfast in the morning had better be good.

Leaving Kelsterbach
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking across the Main
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our super highway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Frankfurt Cathedral
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our coffee stop
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ferry comes to get us
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two Kiwis from Wattle Downs
Heart 0 Comment 0
the brothers Grimm
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 61 km (38 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0