From Rotenburg ad Fulda to Hann Munden: By Train! - Three Reasons for Riding Across Europe - CycleBlaze

August 9, 2015

From Rotenburg ad Fulda to Hann Munden: By Train!

Today we felt we had three options
We could stay put in our very comfortable 4 star hotel escaping the heat.
We could do a short ride of around 30km and make some progress.
We could take the train to Hann Munden thus catching up some of the time we were behind

After breakfast we made the decision we would for today become train tourists. The lovely lady at reception told us how to get train tickets. It was just a matter of working the machine which was on the train - she said just ask and someone would help. There were two lovely young German guys on the train who were on a cycle (?train) tour to Amsterdam so helped us get our tickets to Kassel. Why Kassel you may ask. Actually this was a private train and only went to Kassel, from there we would have to change to the DB network. Kassel Is the place where the Bruder Grimm went from Hanau via Steinau and their university town of Marburg and they spent the most laborious and productive time of their lives in Kassel. It is considered to be the capital of the German Fairy Tale Route and you are able to immerse yourselves in their lives by visiting the many museums. We gave it all a miss and had an even more exciting time by buying tickets for the DB network to Hann Munden.

It is amazing how much beautiful scenery bikes can whizz through when they are safely on a train. We passed through beautiful woods which I am sure would have contained wicked wolves ready to waylay any Red Riding Hoods on their way to visit their Grandmother.

Yesterday I thought that Rotenburg was absolutely fabulous with its beautiful kept Fachwerk houses but Hann Munden is something else again. I felt that I had been transported to an enormous film set. It is situated at the point where the Fulda and Werra rivers come together to form the Weser, the river that we will follow for the next week or so. It is a town with an obvious defendable position which was founded as a trading town in the 12th century prospering and acquiring great wealth and status. Thanks to intensive efforts of restoration of its over 700 fachwerk houses it racks as one on the finest fachwerk towns in Europe. What Hann Munden is so proud of is Dr Eisenbach a famous travelling Physician and Surgeon of the Baroque era who died here in 1727. His memory is commemorated all over the town with a museum and plays and a Glockenspiel that chimes several times a day and which we are just about to go and see.

Waiting for the train
Heart 1 Comment 0
Defensive entry to Hanna Munden
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Rathaus
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Street scene Hann Munden
Heart 1 Comment 0
Floating down the Weser
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 2 km (1 miles)
Total: 274 km (170 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI rode the Weser Route on my bike last month and really enjoyed it. :)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago