From Harpstedt in good weather: We once more visit Andy's Grave - Three Reasons for Riding Across Europe - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2015

From Harpstedt in good weather: We once more visit Andy's Grave

When we woke it was clear that the Rain Gods had finished playing with us in the meantime. We were far enough away from the land of fairy tales and the Brothers Grimm for the evil spirits of the road signs to be an influence it would clearly be a really great day.

Out of Harpstedt the way on was obvious, the cycle tracks perfect, there was only a little undulation and the temperature was 20 degrees. What more could we want. We could wish for beautiful scenery. We did and we got it, through patches of bush, across streams and beside farm land. Dotlinger is a lovely little town where we have stayed previously but we didn't stop here but on we went to Grossenkneten where there was the perfect bakery stop for our morning coffee. All these little Northern German towns look very, very comfortable. The don't look extremely wealthy but they do look as if life would in no means be a struggle. Red brick is still the predominate material of the buildings and the immaculate gardens have displays of very intricate topiary.

Our next stop was the important one for the day it was at the Sage Commonwealth War Graves. This is our 4th visit to this place and the third visit we have made by bike. In Feb 1941 my Uncle Andrew was on a bombing mission over Bremenhaven and his plane was shot down, his body along with 920 others now rests here. Andy was only 25 at the time and his death caste a deep sadness on my mother which remained with her for the rest of her long life. His last letter written the day before the fateful raid expresses a longing for the simplicity of rural New Zealand and the feeling that with Ham(my father), Charlie and him 'up against "the Gerry" ' the war must soon be over - it was of course to last for more than a further 4 years. We were remembering too Nancy (my mother) some of whose ashes we scattered in this place on our last visit. If Andy was still alive he would be 99 and well could be as we are a very long lived family. I was only 2 when he died, I cant remember him but what I can remember is the effect that that fateful telegram had on the family waiting so far away in New Zealand.

On to Garell where we stopped. It was far to early but last time when we passed through there had been a heat wave and we sort haven in the Hotel Zum Post, we couldn't resist it again and the lady still had our name in the computer.

A lovely mill along the way
Heart 0 Comment 0
For a Giants teaparty
Heart 0 Comment 0
Affluent looking houses
Heart 0 Comment 0
The all important coffee stop
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Andy's grave. Thank you Bev I put on it one of the poppies you crocheted
Heart 0 Comment 0
The grave again
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Sage Commonwealt War Graves
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are beginning to run into thatched houses
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hotel zur Post
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 736 km (457 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0