From Antwerp to Ghent: At least it didn't rain - Three Reasons for Riding Across Europe - CycleBlaze

August 28, 2015

From Antwerp to Ghent: At least it didn't rain

We were really going to enjoy today. There were two routes to Ghent. One that Alison and Eddy took at the beginning of their trip this year which was more or less direct and followed the motorway. The other scenic trip was the LF5. We had had such unexpected good luck on an LF track yesterday we decided this would be for us, the weather was fine, the temperature only in the low twenties and the wind although still a factor pretty moderate.

We set off and the signs were coming thick and fast, this was going to be great. Then nothing. We hunted and hunted so I got out the GPS and entered an intermediate town. It took us in what seemed to be entirely the wrong direction, we were in forest and the extremely bumpy cobbles were over grown but the locals were enjoying walking their dogs. Eventually after many km we emerged beside the estuary, still more cobbles and in an area that appeared to be an oil storage facility. There was nothing to do but to press on and trust the GPS. Now we were coming into Antwerp, almost back to our hotel, when we came to the Kennedy Tunnel that takes cyclists and walkers under the Estuary. It was certainly rather an experience a lift takes you and your bikes down into the depths of the earth and you ride quite a long way to the other side to the lift that will once more take you to the surface.

After this we just set the GPS on Ghent and followed this. To start with particularly it was a dreary route that took us through nondescript little towns with no services, narrow streets and the ugly little houses opening directly onto the street. This seemed to go on and on, Our hopes soared when we saw a McDonalds but it was shut at quarter to eleven obviously too early for such a place to be open. The next land mark was St Nicholas which was a much bigger town and we came to a shopping area where there were 5 (yes 5) shops keen to sell us a cup of coffee. This must have changed our luck somewhat as from here there was a fantastic track that took us along the rail tracks for about 15 km. We even came to a beautiful little town Lokeren which was built around the canal and had a shady park with seats in where we were able to eat our lunch. When eventually we did get to Ghent we had the usual trial finding the hotel - we are fortunate that it is close to the old historic centre.

We cleaned up and have had a lovely late afternoon and evening wandering the old streets and sitting in the square watching the world go by while we drank beer and ate our dinner.

It would be a long day if we went from here to Iepre tomorrow (even if we did find the way easily) so we have decided to go half way to give us two easier days which we could both do with it.

I think that these used to be covered markets in Antwerp The are now used for parking
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is what the soldiers used to go to in the evening in WW1 I have never seen one labelled as such before
Heart 0 Comment 0
A nice place for lunch
Heart 0 Comment 0
For Tim and Bridget
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming into Ghent
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old town
Heart 1 Comment 0
A fine bike for carting children about
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ghent
Heart 0 Comment 0
Boat rides on the canal
Heart 0 Comment 0
The castle in Ghent
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 1,364 km (847 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0