Along the canal to Corbigny: A change of focus! - Three Reasons for Riding Across Europe - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2015

Along the canal to Corbigny: A change of focus!

I think something must have happened to us we seem to be replacing our cycle tour by an eating tour! Last night we justified it as escaping from our grotty room. The restaurant attached to the hotel was in a 16th century chapel. The ambience of the place was amazing with tapestries hanging on the walls, stained glass, soft music and appropriate furnishings. The meal was certainly not fast food. We sat down at 7.30 and were not out of there until just on 10 - it even took three quarters of an hour to take our orders. I had guinea fowl to start with followed by duck then a mousse. The wine we chose was the same as the white we had had the previous night, Aligote. It is rather different from the whites I am used to with rather a lemony taste, we both liked it.

Breakfast was once more in the 16th century chapel. The day was overcaste with not a single patch of blue and the wind although possibly not as strong as yesterday was still a major factor. It drizzled a bit on and off but there was really no heavy rain. It was just enough to make everything look a bit dreary which is such a pity as I am sure that all the small villages look much more attractive in sunshine. Because of I presume the weather they all looked deserted. There was some movement on the canals and the Lock Men were buzzing up and down on their scouters to raise bridges and operate the locks - those on board the boats were all well rugged up against the weather.

A first for us today. I was riding along and the bike began to fell decidedly odd. A rear wheel puncture - the first we have had in 2 years so it was unload the bikes and get to work. I wish we could do it as the mechanics do on the Tour de France, what takes them a few seconds takes us about half an hour. In the end we were both covered in grease but the bike was operational again. I had asked the mechanic at home to change the rear tyre but he clearly hadn't as the side walls looked as if they were perished a bit and you could see the lining through the tread in places. But it held out until we got here.

Tonight we are staying in Corbigny, it was really only a short ride but we were glad of that. Arriving around midday the dinning room had a 'menu' for 12E each so seeing this had become an eating tour we couldn't resist it! A lovely tart to start with followed by a veal dish then creme caramel for me and cheese for Ken together with a pichet of red. Very nice indeed. The only problem was that it was a knock out for me and I went up to the room and slept soundly. In the meantime Ken did some exploring and found a bike shop to get a new tyre. We have just picked up the bikes, unfortunately there was some misunderstanding and he replaced both of my tyres - at least I shouldn't have another puncture.

Contentd looking Charolais calves
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fine vegeatable garden
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Deux Cheveaux fan in great condition
Heart 0 Comment 0
This had the smell of oak we wondered if it was for barrel making
Heart 0 Comment 0
An old church along the way
Heart 0 Comment 0
A crossing house
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lifting bridge on the canal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 2,250 km (1,397 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0