A day in Frejus - Three Reasons for Riding Across Europe - CycleBlaze

October 7, 2015

A day in Frejus

It was a good decision to spend another night at Frejus - we would't have missed everything about the town if we hadn't. Suddenly we are striking it lucky having missed markets all along the way. Today there was a market here so we had a lovely time poking around it. I don't feel a great wish to buy things I just love the atmosphere, the wonderful delight to the eyes and the absolutely delicious smells. After that we visited the cathedral the earliest part of it is the Baptistry which was built in the 4th century. Then on to the 13th century cloisters, I always love the quiet peace of cloisters and these ones are particularly interesting featuring in the the larch wood ceilings painted coffers - these are about 30cm by about 15cm and are on red and blue backgrounds representing many themes particularly fantasy creatures like dragons and have human half animal beings.

It was for me a fairly long walk down to the port and the beach. We were in an entirely different environment reminding me a bit of the Gold Coast in Australia but without the surf and the High Rise buildings shading the beach - not because they are not there but they are of course on the south side of the beach. The weather is glorious about mid twenties but it was not busy, the season is clearly well past its peak. There were a few leathery brown bodies sunning themselves on the red sand. We rewarded ourselves by sitting in one of the seaside restaurants enjoying the food and imagining we were some of the rich and famous visiting the South of France. We have worked out a route for when we leave here tomorrow - talked to two touring cyclists who had just ridden the coast road to Cannes and they said it was spectacular and not too busy.

I have just done something very stupid and deleted nearly all todays photos from the camera. I am not very poplular!!

If you are ever in Frejus I recomend you stay here. The owners are absolutely fabulous and couldn't be more helpful
Heart 0 Comment 0
The market with the church in the background
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rushing to the beach
Heart 0 Comment 0
The red sand that comes from the Massif de l'Esterel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0