Waki to Kumini: Escape from Honshu by ferry - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2017

Waki to Kumini: Escape from Honshu by ferry

We slept well last night in the little park in Waki. Half the neighbourhood must have known we were spending the night their because they all came to do there laps of the park as it got dark. Even the caretaker gave me a nod of his head when he came to switch the toilet lights on.

We were back onto the Route 2 to cut across the peninsular to Kudamatsu soon after six o’clock and the traffic was initially quite light but soon started to get busier. It’s a pity because the route was through some pretty countryside.

A bright and cheerful temple on Route 2.
Heart 0 Comment 0

There were a few hills and it got warm quite quickly so, when soon after Kamatsu, we spotted a sign indicating the Tokuyama ferry port a couple of kilometers away we decided to take a detour to see if it could get us across to Kyushu. We were in luck. It was the ferry port to the Kunisaki peninsular, the perfect spot for us from where we could continue our journey.

Islands between Honshu and Kyushu.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ferry landed a few kilometers away from the village of Kumini where we found a Michi no Eki which had a lovely lady who gave us some great advice (all in Japanese) about what we could do in the area. Most importantly, we found out where the local onsens are.

Kumini has a youth hostel, so after cycling around for a while and not finding an open campsite, we decided to spend the night there. A good shower and the use of a washing machine is what we really wanted and we got both.

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 1,072 km (666 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0