Trat to Mai Rut: Back on the road after a week of loafing - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

September 23, 2017

Trat to Mai Rut: Back on the road after a week of loafing

We were on the road at six thirty and set off down the Sukhumvit Road towards Cambodia. A lovely cool morning after last night's heavy rains and not too far to go today.

The Sukhumvit Road is a lot quieter closer to Cambodia than it is near Bangkok
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped to pick up some satays and sticky rice for breakfast at about the four kilometer mark, and then disaster struck. When I opened my handlebar bag to get money from my wallet to pay for the food, it wasn't there. The lady at the satay barrow, on seeing our predicament, wouldn't allow us to pay for the food. Sometimes the kindness of strangers overwhelms me.

We could only imagine that I had left it at the Toscana so we turned around to cycle back to the hotel. Still, I knew there was nothing left in the room and I knew that I had used the wallet in the hotel last night. So we stopped and I searched through the panniers. I soon found it in the bag with all our electrical cables so we were able to turn back eastwards and pay for our breakfast.

One of the most important disciplines that we need to exercise when living out of panniers, along with doing our laundry every day, is to pack things in the same place every time and to check that things are where one expects them to be. Somehow I failed on one of the most important items. Lesson learned the easy way, thank goodness.

Most of the rest of the ride was flat and easy under a cloudy sky but after about fifty kilometers the sun came out and it got quite hot. We started looking for a place to stay but the first two resorts we looked at were way out of our price range. We knew that the resorts in this area were expensive but we didn't expect to be offered a "special" of three thousand two hundred baht! We knew at Mai Rut there was a resort that would be cheaper than that so we pushed on for another ten kilometers.

As we got to Mai Rut we stopped for a delicious second breakfast or early lunch of pork with pepper and garlic and made a note to stop at the same plastic chair for supper because they had all our favourite Thai dishes at very reasonable prices. Leigh wants one last Moo Krop before we head into Cambodia tomorrow.

The Mairood Resort can only be reached via walkways through the harbour of the village. It is slightly old and tired, and certainly expensive at 1200 baht but has a lovely pool and a quiet and secluded environment. Its glory days seem to be over but it still has a nice feel to it.

The watery walkways to get to Mairood Resort. Property taxes are avoided by building the houses over the water.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Later this afternoon, after a bit of work and a swim, we went back to the eatery where we had lunch. Alas, they were closed. So we cycled around and around and found two other places to eat. The one was also closing (and besides, leigh was concerned about their hygiene regime) and the other said Coffee Shop but they were still able to rustle up a couple of plates of khao pad moo krop for 35 baht each. This left us with 60 baht in our pockets, enough for a small Beer Chang and a Sprite, so we could enjoy our final drinks in Thailand.

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 5,967 km (3,706 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0