Thung Wua Laen to Ban Bang Boet: Undulations on a magnificent cycling road. - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2017

Thung Wua Laen to Ban Bang Boet: Undulations on a magnificent cycling road.

We left our little beach shack at Thung Wua Laen as the sun peaked over the clouds above the sea - about a quarter past six.

Leaving Thung Wua Laen
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped to picked up some pork satays and sticky rice in Ao Saphli where we had bought our food the day before and ate our breakfast on a shady back road above the coast. We started the day's cycle proper at about a quarter to seven. The northwards to Bang Boet was mostly newly laid and had a great cycling lane for much of the way. The 2012 road, on which we were for much of the morning, is named the Royal Coastal Drive and I suspect this is the reason why it gets such good treatment.

Cycle lane on the Royal Coastal Drive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We didn't get to see the sand dunes
Heart 0 Comment 0

For the first time in a wile the road was not mostly flat and with it being quite a hot day it was good to pull into a beach side restaurant in Ban Bang Boet at about eleven o'clock where we enjoyed a great early lunch of Ka Phrao Moo. The view from the eatery was quite special.

View from lunch at Ban Bang Boet
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then it was on to Ban Saithong Beach Resort about four kilometers further up the road. Costing more than double what we normally pay for a night's accomodation, the resort is quite luxurious by our standards but it is nice to have a special digs every now and then. We had decided to make the most of our stay at the resort so after our usual chores we spent some time in the lovely swimming pool, had a walk along the beach, another swim and a lovely supper or a couple of curries plus a glass of wine each in addition to the usual Beer Chang. The staff were great and tossed in free chicken satays and dipping sauces as a starter. At the end of it all our total bill at a great resort was less than sixty US dollars or about eight hundred Rand.

The Pacific Reef Herons were out in numbers on our walk along the beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 4,739 km (2,943 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0