Tatai to Andoung Teuk: A few hills - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2017

Tatai to Andoung Teuk: A few hills

The first news we got when we got onto the internet this afternoon was news that an old and dear friend of ours was murdered by an intruder in his house in the village where we had lived for nineteen years. His partner is in intensive chair with a fractured skull. Any discomfort we think we may have felt today has been put in perspective.

The day started well enough with the stiff climb out of Tatai being handled quite easily, thanks to the cool weather. We find that so long as it is cool enough, we can handle the hills. We climbed over a thousand meters today, about 1.7 kilometers of those climbs being greater than 10%. The payback was some lovely downhills, although the potholes meant we couldn't throw all caution to the wind. We also spent a bit of time birding picking up a lifer in Dusky Broadbill.

The climb starts at Tatai.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the many hills today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Attempts are being made to re-forest the raped areas of the Cardomom Mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The obligotary photo at the elephant warning sign.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On arriving in Andoung Teuk we spotted a sign to a guesthouse but we couldn't get to it because the road was a mud bath. A fellow on a motorbike spotted us and motioned for us to follow him, which we did, and he led us over the river to a guesthouse with all that we need for $15.

Today's ride: 83 km (52 miles)
Total: 6,124 km (3,803 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0