Sre Amble to Veal Rinh: Suffering Highway 4 - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

September 29, 2017

Sre Amble to Veal Rinh: Suffering Highway 4

I guess we could have pushed on to Sihanoukville today but our business partners in Port Elizabeth wanted to do a Skype session today so we limited our journey to Veal Rinh so we could be assured of an internet connection in time for the meeting. This wasn't a bad decision because Leigh was feeling a bit under the weather (a tummy bug has flared up again) and both of us are still feeling very down after the news of the horrific and fatal attack on our old friends Ken and Elaine earlier this week.

We only got going at about seven o'clock - far too late given that today was sunny and warm. There was only one real hill today at about the ten kilometer mark and it was already hot once we reached it. At the bottom of the downhill Route 48 joined up with Highway 4 that runs between Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville.

We had heard that Highway 4 is not the greatest road on which to cycle and we found out very quickly that the reports were quite accurate. We didn't waste any time in coming to the conclusion that the best way to stay alive was to not ride on the road itself but rather stick to the unpaved shoulder. That's what all the motorcyclists were doing and it didn't seem that the trucks and buses considered us qualified to be on the road.

Staying alive !
Heart 0 Comment 0
It took me a while to work out that "M's Pig Genetic Can Trust" was a animal feed mill.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had also heard that Veal Rinh is a dusty and litter filled town. That is also true. We have found the guesthouse that was used by Jeff and Ros Tonner in their trip from a year or so ago and can confirm that the price is still $15.

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 6,221 km (3,863 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0