Ratchaburi to Nakhon Pathom: A hot day with a navigation glitch - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

September 3, 2017

Ratchaburi to Nakhon Pathom: A hot day with a navigation glitch

When we went to bed last night we thought we would be in for a long day today because the plan was to make a detour to the floating market at Damnoen Saduak but we tossed that plan and decided to head straight to Nakhon Pathom. It was just as well because today has been one of the hotter days we have had in a while.

We left Baan Vanilla River soon after seven o'clock, stopping to pick up some phat thong go for first breakfast. After about thirteen kilometers we came upon an enormous Wat which I think is called Wat Chao Bus. Inside the walls had lovely murals showing the life of the Gautam Buddha.

Wat Chao Nua
Heart 0 Comment 0

Outside we found some statues of cow's that might have been crafted for The Far Side.

Gary Larsen would be proud of these cows
Heart 0 Comment 0

We carried on after a second breakfast of chicken satays and sticky rice. An ice-cream enjoyed at a 7-Eleven on the outskirts of Nakhon Pathom meant that lunch wasn't necessary.

Today's route was mostly on four digit roads and most of them were pretty busy. I guess that is to be expected given that Nakhon Pathom is Thailand's second biggest city and central Bangkok is only sixty kilometers away. We didn't make it any easier for ourselves because we screwed up the route to our digs for the night and ended up having to backtrack down route four for about five kilometers. Not something that I would like to do very often.

The afternoon was taken up by work but once it cooled down we went off to look at the enormous chedi for which Nakhom Pathom is well known.

After that it was a lovely Kra Phao Moo Krop at a plastic chair near the meat market - a case of staring your pig in the eye before you ate it.

Nakhom Pathom's massive chedi.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 5,244 km (3,257 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0