Pluak Daeng to Ban Phe: A lovely morning's cycle back to the coast - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2017

Pluak Daeng to Ban Phe: A lovely morning's cycle back to the coast

After yesterday's ride and the less than pleasant ones we have had since approaching Bangkok, today's ride was an absolute pleasure. We got away at about six o'clock, stopped to buy some satays and sticky rice and, apart from three kilometers, stuck to quiet back roads all the way down to the coast.

Plotting our route as the sun rises
Heart 0 Comment 0

The first few resorts we passed along the coast looked as if we were still too close to Pattaya and all that it is known for - three creepy-looking shirtless guys enjoying their beer for breakfast come to mind - and there were a number of dilapidated and deserted hotels and resorts giving parts of the strip the feel of a ghost town. However, once we got to Ban Phe things improved a bit. The resorts looked more upmarket and one, with chalets in the shape of boats, caught our eye. However, prices started at 1000 baht, far too much given that the resort wasn't in the best of nick. A kilometer or two further on we spotted an enormous resort cum hotel, the Kiang Talay, with a swimming pool with a sign outside advertising rooms for 490 baht including breakfast. It really good value for money, there is local food available and it is two steps to the beach. So here we are all checked in at only ten thirty in the morning, and we may be here for another night as well. We only need to be out of Thailand at the end of the month and with Leigh's birthday coming up in six days time we want to make sure we can be able to find nice digs for that night. So we are in no rush to move on yet.

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 5,622 km (3,491 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0