Petchaburi to Ratchaburi: We arrived here by mistake - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

September 2, 2017

Petchaburi to Ratchaburi: We arrived here by mistake

We are in Ratchaburi although, on reflection, we should be somewhere else. The plan is to get to Bangkok where we will spend a few days getting our visas for Vietnam before continuing eastwards to southern Cambodia. A quick glance at some photographs of Ratchaburi showed what looked like some old wats that could be interesting and it isn't far off the route to Bangkok but further research suggests that it is a town with not a great deal to interest a traveller. Anyway, we are here now and will carry on tomorrow morning.

Despite Ratchaburi not being what we hoped it would be, the ride here wasn't bad at all. The weather forecast suggested a very hot day - we cut our birding short yesterday because it got so hot - but when we woke up the sky was cloudy and it remained like that the whole day. We only starting riding at about twenty past seven because breakfast at the excellent Sweet Dreams guesthouse is only served from seven o'clock so the cloud cover was really appreciated.

We thought that we would have to end up doing a stint on highway 4 but in the end we managed to stay on quiet back roads the whole way. In fact, I would go as far to say that, from a traffic perspective, this was the quietest morning's ride we have had in Thailand on this trip. One of the features of today's ride was the number of wats and large Buddha statues that we passed.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

This evening we wandered down to the night market for supper. It was only two blocks away on the banks of the Maekong River. With not another falang in sight, Ratchaburi revealed itself. It is really a very likable Thai provincial town.

Today's ride: 64 km (40 miles)
Total: 5,179 km (3,216 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0