North of Sawi to Thung Wua Laen: Down to the coast via the back roads - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2017

North of Sawi to Thung Wua Laen: Down to the coast via the back roads

The first eight kilometers of this morning's ride was on highway 41 but after that we enjoyed quiet back roads for most of the way to the coast.

We passed through the town of Chumphon - a typical Thai regional center. I feel quite comfortable in towns like Chumphon. Often their only failing is a lack of accommodation options but Chumphon seemed to be well served in that department. In particular the road to the coast seemed to have quite a few places where one could spend a night.

While passing the railway station in Chumphon we spied three old steam locomotives, including a 24" narrow gauge engine. My old home town of Port Elizabeth has a narrow gauge line called the Apple Express that used to carry fruit and other products from the farms west of Port Elizabeth.

Old steam locomotives, Chumphon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old steam locomotives, Chumphon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old steam locomotives, Chumphon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old steam locomotives, Chumphon
Heart 0 Comment 0

After not checking out the accommodation options thoroughly enough two nights before, today we went a bit over the top and looked at five places before settling on the Tananyaho (I think that is what it is called). Its big advantage (because the room isn't anything to write home about) is that it is on the beach - we step out of our room onto the sand. We are spending two days here to relax a bit before heading up towards Hua Hin.

We spent the afternoon working and then enjoyed a nice evening walk along the beach. There were a few waders on the muddy patches - Lesser Sandplovers and Malaysian Plovers. Supper was had on the beach - a simple Khao Pad Moo.

Supper on the beach
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 4,664 km (2,896 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0