Nakhon Si Thammarat to north of Sichon: Meeting Annette Maile and ending up at a rough 24 hour motel - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

August 13, 2017

Nakhon Si Thammarat to north of Sichon: Meeting Annette Maile and ending up at a rough 24 hour motel

We had a nice early start this morning and were on the road by six o'clock. The plan was to head up the 401 to Sichon, possibly slipping onto some of the quieter roads along the coast. In the end we stuck to the 401 for mos of the way even though it was busy and not particularly interesting.

About five kilometers into the ride we met a cycle tourist on a trike coming from the opposite direction to which we were travelling. It was a German lady called Annette Maile who had started from Germany sixteen months ago and is on her way to Australia from where she plans to turn around and cycle back to Germany again. She has some mobility challenges, hence the trike, and is a real inspiration.

Posing with Annette Maile
Heart 0 Comment 0

After that it was an easy if unexciting day heading up the 401. Breakfast was sticky rice and pork satays. Lunch was had in Sichon - a fiery hot dry pork curry. This is the first time I have struggled with chilli since we got to Thailand. The vendor had warned us but I am used to asking for "Thai spicy" so I was taken a bit by surprise.

Then we started looking for somewhere to stay. I had spotted a place called @Sichon Resort on the internet but on arriving there it wasn't worth the 450 baht they were asking. A few kilometers later we found a 24 hour motel, complete with cheap condom, for 360 baht and in better nick than the @Sichon. In retrospect it wasn't the greatest choice because it is right next to the 401 so it is as noisy as hell. Hopefully the traffic with die down as the day wears on.

Today's ride: 81 km (50 miles)
Total: 4,231 km (2,627 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0