Nakdong-ri to north of Heungdeokdong: Faith restored - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

June 17, 2017

Nakdong-ri to north of Heungdeokdong: Faith restored

From the moment we set out this morning, the route north of Nakdong-ri seemed more enjoyable than yesterdays ride. A few steep but short climbs and a lot more natural vegetation with no signs of industry. We also spotted a number of good camping spots.

One of the short sharp climbs today
Heart 0 Comment 0
The graffiti says it all.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived at the Sengju Bicycle Museum 45 minutes before it opened. Ironically, the sign at the entrance states that no bicycles are allowed. While were waiting we were given gifts of cucumbers,tomatoes and dried fruit. It always feels good to receive unexpected kindness. The museum itself is very modern and mildly interesting (information is in Hangul script so it did add any value for us) and we somehow got drawn into watching a 4D animated film that had nothing to do with cycling.

Sangju Bicycle Museum - note the sign on the right.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped about ten kays further for a birdwatching break on a cool and shady knoll which delivered a few lifers, one of which was Yellow-rumped Flycatcher, a bird that is apparently quite rare in South Korea.

Great birding spot on the cycle track.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived in Heungdeokdong some time after two in the afternoon where we found a CU where we stocked up for lunch and supper. Lunch was taken in a park in the town before setting off at around four o'clock.

The road deviated from the river and we got worried that we would not find a place to camp. Just as the road rejoined the river we found a "pension". That is what the sign said but it was actually more like a backpackers. They did have a sign for camping but the campsite is no longer operational. However, the supervisor said we could camp for free and use the shower in her accommodation. The location isn't that great with some busy roads close by but it's better than what we were starting to expect.

After we had finished supper we received another cucumber as a gift from one of tge guests staying at the pension. It seems we are thr recipients of a lot of kindness today.

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 1,890 km (1,174 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0