Nahari to Kochi: Fantastic cycle path - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

May 19, 2017

Nahari to Kochi: Fantastic cycle path

We woke up at about a quarter to five and quickly broke camp before making our way back to the Michi no Eki for first breakfast and some coffee and fruit juice. Then we slowly made our way towards Kochi – today we were determined to keep the distance down ! We stopped at a Lawson’s to pick up an internet connection and at various Michi no Ekis to eat and rest a bit.

A shrine on a rock between Nahari and Aki
Heart 0 Comment 0

Most of the ride has been on some absolutely magnificent cycle track that seems to run on an old railway line, including going through an old railway tunnel. With the sunny weather and the great views of the sea it made for a great ride.

Coastline between Nahari and Aki
Heart 0 Comment 0

At the last Michi no Eki about ten kilometers from Kochi we bought some sushi and while we were eating it, a Henro came over and started a conversation of which some was mutually understandable. While this was going on, various other folk using the Michi no Eki also joined in the conversation. Before we knew it, some of them starting putting packets of food in our hands – so kind and unexpected.

The last few kilometers into Kochi felt longer than it actually was. We made our way to a campsite we gleaned from the list of free campsites and onsens in Japan. It is sort of between the harbour and a busy bridge across the river and and only has toilets (very clean) with no showers but one can’t complain about the price.

Leigh and a friendly Henro
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 510 km (317 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0