Michikashima to Mihara: Island hopping to Honshu - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2017

Michikashima to Mihara: Island hopping to Honshu

Today was a series of hops from island to island as we made our way to Onomichi on Honshu. The cycling route was packed with a mixture of day trippers, weekend warriors and a few cycle tourists.

Map of the Shimanami Kaido route
Heart 0 Comment 0

The last hop is a short ferry ride (110 JPY per cyclist). At the Onomichi end of the ferry ride the first thing we wanted to do was find some lunch and then think about where to sleep. Leigh spoted a queue outside what look like a restaurant so we parked the bikes and joined it. Lunch turned out to be a very filling combo of noodles with pork, rice awith beef and onions and the usual small bowl of pickles. We waddled out feeling like lion cubs at a buffalo kill.

We stopped at the Cycle Hotel at the start of the Shimanami Kaido but they were full for the night. Just as well because a walk through the restaurant area filled with people sipping Champagne made me realize it out out of our budget.

So we hit the road to Mihara planning to find a place to rough camp near the Micho no Eki. As we entered Mihara, Leigh spotted a love hotel. Pretty crummy, particularly when compared to the Hotel Liberty in Matsuyama, but reasonably affordable. We plan to be camping again near Hiroshimafor the next couple of nights so this gives a chance to get laundry done properly and to have a good shower after the last two nights of roughish camping.

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 847 km (526 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0