Kyoto Day Three: More sight seeing - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

May 11, 2017

Kyoto Day Three: More sight seeing

This morning we headed across the river to the Fushimi Inari Shrine famous for its thousands of vermilion torii gates. The torii gates along the entire trail are donations by individuals and companies, and the donator's name and the date of the donation are inscribed on the back of each gate.

Torii gates at the Fushimi Ianri Shrine
Heart 0 Comment 0

The shrine is dedicated to Inari, the Shinto god of rice and features many statues of foxes which are the messengers of Inari. Inari sushi (rice in tofu pouches) is one of my favourites and apparently the foxes are partial to tofu as well.

Tofu loving fox at the Fushimi Inari Shrine.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we cycled up to the Gion area, the Geisha district of Kyoto. We didn't expect to see any Geisha but we did see many tourists dressed up in rented Geisha garb.

On the lookout for a Geisha in the Gion area of Kyoto.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After that we went looking for some food and after a while found a fast food restaurant filled with Japanese workers that had reasonable prices for various set lunch menus. Payment was to a machine which produced a slip to be handed at a counter where one collected ones food. For only 690 JPY I was full for the first time since we arrived in Japan - noodles plus rice and shrimps plus as much green tea as I could drink.

After a restful afternoon back at the guesthouse, we strolled down to the station area to pick up some supper. What else could it be but inari sushi.

Tomorrow the cycling starts as we set out for Nara, hopefully using as much of the Kyoto-Nara cycling path as we can find.

Today's ride: 13 km (8 miles)
Total: 49 km (30 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0