Kuala Lumpur: Visa applications and the twin towers - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2017

Kuala Lumpur: Visa applications and the twin towers

We set off for the Royal Thai Embassy at about quarter past eight. A short walk to the Metro station and five stops later a slightly longer walk to the embassy. We were 26th in the queue by the time we got there just before nine o'clock. The gates opened at nine and processing started at nine thirty. This gave us time to fill in the application forms. By quarter past ten we were done with instructions to return to collect our passports (hopefully with Thai visas in them) the next afternoon.

We wandered back towards the Metro station where I had seen a sign for a supermarket - we needed to stock on toiletries. The first goods we saw on entering the supermarket was piles of great looking fruit at very good prices, much of it from South Africa. With the only local fruit being bananas (available only by the bunch), whole watermelons, durian, jackfruit etc, we have been craving other fruit. We bought a punnet of South African pears and some Egyptian grapes as well as our toiletries and some coffee. We were hardly out of the store before we started tucking into the fruit.

Forrelle Pears from South Africa
Heart 0 Comment 0

We then wandered down to the KLCC where the twin towers are located. I must admit I was rather underwhelmed but they were something of which we had to take a photograph.

The Kuala Lumpur Twin Towers
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Kuala Lumpur Twin Towers
Heart 0 Comment 0

The shopping center inside the base of the towers could have been in any developed country and contrasts remarkably with the night market outside our hotel window in Petaling Street.

KLCC Shopping Center - could be anywhere in the world
Heart 0 Comment 0

One of the things that has struck us in and around KL is the number of Hindu temples (well, in relation to further south). A pre-supper stroll showed us a lovely temple where a ceremony involving a lot of burning was taking place. Coincidently, the Buddhist temple directly across the road from it was also busy with a ceremony where a lot of burnng of paper was happening.

A lovely Hindu temple just around the corner from our hotel in Chinatown
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0