Kochi to Niyogodawa: Into the valley - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2017

Kochi to Niyogodawa: Into the valley

We set off at about six thirty and it took almost twenty kilometers for us to get out of the traffic lights of Kochi and its satellite towns. As expected, the there have been a few short climbs, nothing too bad, and quite a few tunnels. Much of the road is through narrow valleys with steep sides and is quite pretty.

The first real town after the sprawl of Kochi was Ochi. By now it was about eleven o’clock and quite hot, so we decided to look for a cool lace to rest in until the weather cooled down. Just out of town there was a sign board indicating a waterfall about one and a half kilometers away. It sounded like what we were looking for. Of course waterfalls are often halfway up a mountainside and this one was no different. In the end, our midday rest had turned into a tough cycle and a route march.

Waterfall near Ochi
Heart 0 Comment 0

The onward continued through the steep valleys and a kilometer or so past Niyogodawa, with our energy levels dropping, we decided to turn back down to the town and look for somewhere to spend the night. We cycled around for far too long looking for a place but eventually settled on a rest area on top of a historic bridge and settled down there to while away the hours until darkness sets in. There is a parking lot next to the bridge where we plan to spend the night and a Lawson’s just up the road where we can get some supper. Next to the parking lot is a small bus terminal that has disabled toilets so that will do for our evening ablutions.

Beautiful valleys inland of Ochi
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the end we settled for a small moss covered concrete slab that was hidden behind a small building at the end of the parking lot. Comfy underfoot because of the moss and well hidden.

Chicken kebabs while plotting where we will pitch our tent for the night
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 600 km (373 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0