Kangar to Padang Besar: Back in Thailand after a bit more than a year - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

August 3, 2017

Kangar to Padang Besar: Back in Thailand after a bit more than a year

It was raining again when we woke up this morning. With a short ride predicted and with breakfast bundled with our hotel room price we didn't rush to get onto the road. It seems that we were the only guests at the hotel last night so we didn't feel too bad about pigging out at the buffet.

The first part of the ride was in a light drizzle but after about thirteen kilometers, near a small rocky mountain called Bukit Ketri, the heavens opened and we took shelter at a roadside eatery. The owner got chatting to us. She also had a Homestay and hosts rock climbers who are attracted to Bukit Ketri.

Sheltering from the rain in the shop owner's banana stall
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chatting to the shop owner while we shelter from the rain
Heart 0 Comment 0
Karst hills near Bukit Ketri
Heart 0 Comment 0

After about fifteen minutes it looked OK to carry on but after less than three kilometers the heavens opened again, this time more dramatically than before. This time we ducked under the verandah of a house on the side of the road. After that it was mostly dry until we got to the Malaysian side of Padang Besar when it started raining just enough to be in two minds as to whether we should take cover or not.

Passing through the Malaysian side of the immigration control was a breeze - we didn't even have to get off our bicycles - but the Thai side involved filling in arrival forms and standing in queues.

Once in the Thai side of Padang Besar we made for the Station Resort, a cluster of brightly coloured rooms in the style of a motel. Slightly seedy but very Thai. It's great to not be stuck in a hotel room because we have the under cover parking where a car wold normally be - something we have missed a bit in Malaysia.

Interesting motel room
Heart 0 Comment 0

I went off to look for somewhere to change the remaining Malaysian Ringgit I had in my pocket and did so at a bank just around the corner from our accommodation. I also managed to change my left over Singapore Dollars and drew a bit more Thai baht from the ATM. I feel slightly exposed if I don't get my hands on local money when crossing into another country.

After our usual arrival chores (shower, wash clothes, check WiFi connection) we headed off to find some lunch which ended up being Pad Kra Pao Moo (Thai Basil and Fried Pork on rice), one of our staple Thai dishes. We're going to have to learn the Thai names of a few other dishes this time around.

Pad Kra Pao Moo - we must be back in Thailand
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 km (23 miles)
Total: 3,769 km (2,341 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0