Kampot to Ha Tien: Crossing into Vietnam - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

October 8, 2017

Kampot to Ha Tien: Crossing into Vietnam

We started off this morning with a cinnamon bun and a cup of coffee at the cafe on the riverfront where we had bought breakfast yesterday. It seems that the owner is a Canadian from British Columbia and he was joined at his table by another Canadian from BC who had just arrived in town. Both men were in their late sixties and seemed to enjoy sharing their various tales of woe about life in South East Asia with each other. The newcomer provided a bit of light entertainment for us in that he managed to squeeze more instances of the word "fuck" into fewer sentences than I have ever heard in my life (surpassing even the scripts from Tarantino movies).

After that it was a flat an easy if not dull ride to the Vietnamese border. Formalities were simple and quick. On the Cambodian side they coerced us (me actually) into completing the medical declaration and taking our temperatures with an infra-red scanner, a service for which they wanted $1 dollar from each of us - they didn't get a cent out of us.

Welcome to Ha Tien
Heart 0 Comment 0

We've checked into the Happy Hotel near the bridge in Ha Tien. A great room for 360K Vietnamese Dong. We'll probably spend two days here before moving on because we still have a lot of work to do. Leigh fell asleep within minutes of getting back to the room after a nice lunch of grilled pork with rice and vegetables. I think the antihistamine she has taken for the hives has taken its toll on her.

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 6,551 km (4,068 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0