Kampar to Ipoh: A detour to visit Kellie's Castle - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

July 25, 2017

Kampar to Ipoh: A detour to visit Kellie's Castle

We were not quite sure as to what direction we should head off to in the immediate days ahead - should it be the coast or should we head back to the hills via the Cameron Highlands ? So, after a breakfast of roti with 3 different karis, we took the easy way out, i.e. make no decision at all instead and mosey up to Ipoh, a town between the two.

We took a route westwards of Kampar, initially quiet but finally quite busy, as Malaysian roads have been. On the way we made a detour to Kellie's Castle, a folly or indulgence depending on which way you look at it. The unfinished, ruined mansion, was built by a Scottish planter named William Kellie Smith. In many ways it reflects what was good and bad about British imperialism in the Victorian age.

Kellie's Castle
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we arrived at Kellie's Castle we were once again treated to some Malysian kindness - a concerned farmer stopped and offered us a lift in his truck. I guess we must have looked hot and tired.

As we reached the outskirts of Ipoh the skies opened and so we ducked into a Malay curry house for a great lunch. The Pi Hotel was another five kilometers on and we carried on up there once the rain had stopped.

After checking in it was time for a little bit of work. We seem to have the small things under control but there is a big bit of development that has been preying on my mind for the last month or two that I will have to tackle at some point.

For supper we had to try chicken and beansprouts, Ipoh's signature Chinese meal, so we headed for Lou Wong, one of the better known restaurants. It is simply chicken with boiled bean sprouts served with soy sauce, sesame oil and either rice or noodles. This is all they serve and it was worth every cent of the RM29.70 it cost for the two of us. Yes, that's about ZAR95.00 or US$7.50 in other money. A real bank-breaker for one of the best chicken dishes I will ever eat.

Ipoh Chicken and Beansprouts
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 3,376 km (2,096 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0