Gyeongju to Mulgeum-eup: The R35 redemption - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

June 11, 2017

Gyeongju to Mulgeum-eup: The R35 redemption

We were on the road at six thirty this morning with the expectation that we were in for a horrid day going back down route 35. Thank goodness Gyeongju turned out as nice as it did because a hundred and fifty kilometer detour for a waste of time would have left a bad taste in the mouth. The first 12 kays was on the rural road we enjoyed a few days before but the R35 was lying ahead of us, waiting.

However, once we reached the R35 it was still asleep with almost no traffic. By the time we had reached the forty kilometer mark I had counted four trucks and one bus that had passed us. To make it even easier, we had a gentle tailwind. There was a stiffish climb just before twenty kilometers (the sign said 10% but my calculations had it at only 7% on average) which we anticipated but hardly noticed. By the time we reached Yangsan after a lovely downhill run sixty kilometers into the ride, the traffic started to pick up but now we could switch onto a lovely cycle track running between the R35 and the river (I wish we had fond this on the way up to Gyeongju).

We detoured into Yangsan and had a pizza each at a Pizza School outlet. Probably the best value for calorie meal we have had since we got to Korea - 6000 Won for a large pepperoni pizza that I struggled to finish.

We wanted to make sure we would cover the entire Four Rivers Route so we backtracked onto the R35 and joined the Four Rivers Route at the exact point where we had left it on Thursday.

Back on the Four Rivers Route after our detour to Gyeongju
Heart 0 Comment 0

The cycle track was pretty busy and we got a lot of stares and few greetings. It crosses the river over a floating bridge just before we turned up into Mulgeum-eup where we had a motel in mind

Pontoon bridge for cyclists on the Four Rivers Route
Heart 0 Comment 0

Crossing the train line into Mulgeum-eup was via a bridge with an elevator on either end. Neat but slow.

Today's ride: 76 km (47 miles)
Total: 1,538 km (955 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0