Gyeongju: Sight seeing - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2017

Gyeongju: Sight seeing

Another day of sightseeing.

After some breakfast from the grocer around the corner followed by a bit of a struggle to find an ATM that was willing to spit out some money, we boarded the #11 bus to Bulguksa where one of the the most important Buddhist temple in Korea is located. It is well worth the visit. Despite being quite busy the complex has a lovely calmness about it. No photos allowed inside the halls of the temples, unfortunately.

Bulguksa Temple
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bulguksa Temple
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bulguksa Temple
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bulguksa Temple
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bulguksa Temple
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bulguksa Temple
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bulguksa Temple
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bulguksa Temple
Heart 0 Comment 0

In a few of the halls, there was a monk and nun going through various rituals. Very few of the locals seemed particularly interested but I enjoy sitting in Buddhist temples so we sat in a couple and enjoyed the calmness and the monks. They might have mistaken us for Buddhist because they offered us tea and cookies afterwards.

Then it was a long wait for the #12 bus to take us up the hill to the Seokguram Grotto which contains one of the most beautiful Buddha statues we have ever seen. Unfortunately, the temple in the grotto is all behind glass and no photographs are allowed but click here for the Wikipedia link to it.

The #10 bus took us back to Gyeongju. Hopefully an early night because we have to brave the route 35 back to the Four Rivers Route tomorrow.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0