George Town to Sungai Petani: Plans are just random thoughts - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

July 31, 2017

George Town to Sungai Petani: Plans are just random thoughts

We woke up about ten minutes before the alarm went off at five thirty this morning - we had planed to have an early start to be at the ferry to Lankawi by seven o'clock to be first in the stand-by queue.

"Why don't we just cycle up to Kuala Perlis and take the ferry to Lankawi from there ?" asked Leigh. Not a bad idea, so that is what we have set out to do.

This meant we didn't have to rush this morning and we had a second bite of the breakfast cherry at our hotel. Then it was a short wait for the ferry back to Butterworth (free when going in that direction - I guess they nail you twice when going from Butterworth to George Town) and an easy ride up the route one to Sungai Petani. The route one seemed a lot quieter than it was between Kuala Lumpur and Butterworth, particularly once we escaped Butterworth's urban grip, and passed through rice paddies and rural landscapes giving it a very different feel to what we have experienced in Malaysia so far.

After a day of sight seeing and the general buzz of George Town it felt good to be back on the road again. I guess I'm very easily jaded by tourist towns.

We've checked into the Rock Wood Hotel. A nice room with an industrial-chic feel decorated with old motor cycles. Not quite what one would expect in a provincial town. A good deal at RM86.

The Rock Wood Hotel in Sungai Petani. An old BMW to the one side of our room door, a piano and Norton Commander to the other.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 3,602 km (2,237 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0