Ban Phe to Laem Mae Phim: Nice quiet roads along the coast - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

September 13, 2017

Ban Phe to Laem Mae Phim: Nice quiet roads along the coast

After a walk along the beach yesterday evening we decided to carry on to Laem Mae Phim today. Despite the Kiang Talay being such good value for money, and it was, there was very little reason for us to stay there. I had read about a great place at Laem Mae Phim on Andrea Brown's journal and we decided with the weather beng so hot lately that we would rather take shorter hops up the coast than have rest days with long days in between.

Breakfast, served only from seven o'clock (another reason for shorter hops), was seafood fried rice (full of prawns and calamari) plus watermelon, toast, jam and coffee. With the bill being 490 baht for the two of us and breakfast being worth at least 200 baht, we really did get a good deal for a nice resort with a pool. My guess is that these large resorts are run by accountants and they are prepared to do anything to cover overheads during the off season (by the way, that is a compliment to accountants and not an insult).

As we wandered eastwards along the coast and went through Ban Phe proper, we realized how lucky we had actually been because the strip through Ban Phe near the piers looked like a haven for the worst kind of tourist.

The road to Laem Mae Phim was wonderfully quiet and despite it being rather hot we had a very enjoyable but short ride.

Quiet roads between Ban Phe and Laem Mae Phim
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quiet roads between Ban Phe and Laem Mae Phim
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we approached Laem Mae Phim we came across some sculptures that looked a bit like the remains of last year's sand castle competition.

Interesting scultures near Laem Mae Phim
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting scultures near Laem Mae Phim
Heart 0 Comment 0

Andrea and Bruce had stayed at Sunnee Resort in Laem Mae Phim and so we did the same. We were upgraded, at no extra cost, to their best accommodation so we have a lovely apartment overlooking the sea. One of the benefits of travelling in the low season.

Sunnee is run by a "Swedish" couple, the husband being an Iranian Swede and the wife a Thai Swede. They had come out here two years ago to run her mother's resort. Their kids go to a Swedish school nearby and there are Swedish housing estates (all walled in and gated) in this area where Swedish retirees can enjoy their retirement in familiar surroundings but with the advantage of warmer weather and cheaper alcohol.

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 5,654 km (3,511 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0