Ban Krud to Prachuap Khiri Khan: A mix of highway and byway - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

August 26, 2017

Ban Krud to Prachuap Khiri Khan: A mix of highway and byway

We got away at about a quarter past six this morning and made our way through a Ban Krud that looked as if it was still fast asleep. Ban Krud is one mass of resorts and restaurants but this is the quiet season and many of the resorts looked as if they had shut shop until the end of the year. On the northern side of the village I picked up a puncture - a piece of wire, presumably from a blown tyre, being the culprit. It was a bit of a struggle to get the piece of wire out of the tyre and I decided to repair the puncture there and then because it was still nice and cool so it took a while before we got going again. Leigh spent the time photographing birds so it wasn't a waste of time.

When we got to the coast at Thap Sakae we found a satay stand and bought the most delicious chicken satays and sticky rice for breakfast. Rain had been threatening for a while so we took shelter for a few minutes but it never got more than an occasional spit so we carried on.

Soon afterwards we stumbled upon Wat Thung Pradu which had a beautiful reclining Buddha statue and an impressive vihear protected by nagi.

Wat Thung Pradu
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wat Thung Pradu
Heart 0 Comment 0

Soon after that we were forced up to the national route 4 on which we were stuck for the next twenty kilometers or so. We did manage to escape for a few minutes to photograph the Church of our Lady of Fatima.

Our Lady of Fatima
Heart 0 Comment 0

We also had a short break at a 7-11 for some junk food - Leigh had a chocolate brownie and I ended up with some cholesterol wrapped in plastic. We battled into a bit of a headwind before turning off the route 4 with about fourteen kilometers to go.

The MyHome is our home for the night. Same price as last night but sooo much better. Clean, organized, a beautiful room with good linen (we used our own sheets last night) and a swimming pool.

Loo with a view at The MyHome
Heart 0 Comment 0

After settling in, I went off to do a bit of shopping - new gas canister, coffee etc. Prachuap Khiri Khan is a fair sized town so it has all the amenities and shops that some of the coastal Bans are missing. Gas and nice coffee were the two most important things to buy.

It is worth noting that there is so much accommodation available, both along the coast and on the main roads, that there is no reason we should make mistakes and end up with sub-standard digs for a night. We've only got ourselves to blame if we don't get it right.

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 4,864 km (3,021 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0