Ban Bang Saen to Pluak Daeng: Almost successful in avoiding the mess around Pattaya - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

September 11, 2017

Ban Bang Saen to Pluak Daeng: Almost successful in avoiding the mess around Pattaya

After two days of work we got back on the road this morning. After picking up some pork satays, sticky rice and pha thang go a at a stall outside the Saen Nara we set off through Ban Bang Saen taking a shortcut through the university and crossing the Sukumvit Road into a rural area where we found ourselves on pleasant country roads. We had decided to cut inland to keep away from Pattaya and I mapped out a route that I hoped would skirt the worst of the urban sprawl around the city.

The breakfast of Kings - pha thong go, sticky rice and satays
Heart 0 Comment 0

As it turned out, we skirted much of it but also clipped a lot of it too. Our country roads took us up to reservoir where we had a pleasant surprise of a small flock of seven Spot-billed Pelicans sitting on the water. After a few kilometers we found ourselves on a muddy track that skirted another reservoir but eventually ended up crossing the route 331 into the towns of Bo Win and Map Yang Phon which gave us almost twenty kilometers of busy roads.

Nice quiet country roads
Heart 0 Comment 0

Even so, today's route could have been quite enjoyable had we not had to contend with a stiff headwind and a blazing sun. It has been pretty hot today and both of us felt the need to take refuge in the air conditioned comfort of some of the many 7-Elevens along the way. The last fifteen kilometers towards Pluak Daeng and the Lake View Resort was quieter and it was slowly starting to cloud over.

About a kilometer and a half from the Lake View Resort, we stopped at a roadside eatery for a large and tasty bowl of Pad Kra Phrao Moo which was accompanied by a bowl of soup, all for the princely sum of thirty baht a serving (about twelve rand or one US dollar). The last bit of the route was once again on a muddy dirt road so after we settled in I took advantage of a hosepipe that was connected to a tap next to our chalet and gave the bicycles a quick clean. I also gave the chains got a good scrub with detergent and followed by a good oiling, their second service this week.

The ride seemed to take quite a bit out of us so we had a relaxing afternoon doing very little (I even had a nap) and supper was just tuna sandwiches.

Today's ride: 71 km (44 miles)
Total: 5,568 km (3,458 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0