Villa Tehuelches - The eighth step ... Patagonia etc once more. - CycleBlaze

February 1, 2020

Villa Tehuelches

We slept well and long last night, so long that I only got up to make coffee at about eight thirty this morning.  I pottered around doing a bit of birding (a lifer in 3 Greater Yellowlegs in the river in front of the house) and some tidying up and sweeping of the casa de ciclistas.

I forgot to take pictures of our digs last night so here is a shot from this morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some of the messages on the walls. Other cycle tourists obviously have better art skills than I do.
Heart 2 Comment 0

There was a strong westerly wind blowing and it was pretty cold so with less than fifty kilometers until Villa Tehuelches there was little motivation and no reason for an early start.

The wind that we had hoped to be our friend today wasn't much help at all.  It was mostly a blustery crosswind that had us leaning our bicycles westwards while trying to maintain a straight line.  For the last fifteen kilometers it was more of a headwind than anything else and we had to work a little harder.  In fact, it wasn't the easiest of rides, particularly for Leigh who was struggling with a sore knee and groin.  Yesterday's longer ride was too much for a body grown soft by hanging out in campsites and sitting on ferries.

First photographable Lesser Rea's of the trip.
Heart 2 Comment 0

On our arrival in Villa Tehuelches we both agreed a hospedage would beat rough camping.  Coincidently we happened to be stopped outside a hospedaje just behind the almaceda as this decision was taken.  At 24K for the night for the two of us, a windblown rodeo ground, the standard wildcamp spot in the village, had no chance against a hot shower and a warm bed.

As I wandered off to the almaceda to buy a beer (for me) and a chocolate (for Leigh), Eliza, a Canadian lady a few years older than us who we met on the ferry rolled in having cycled the whole way from Puerto Montt.  Respect !

Eliza is also spending the night at the hospedaje so we had a good natter while making and eating supper.

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 1,251 km (777 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0