San Sebastian (Argentina) - The eighth step ... Patagonia etc once more. - CycleBlaze

February 15, 2020

San Sebastian (Argentina)

It started raining in the night and it came down in buckets and was freezing cold when we woke up this morning.  We struggled to get out of bed and we both knew right away that we wouldn't cycling all the way to Rio Grande today. So after a truly crappy breakfast at the hosteria and lingering even longer afterwards in our room until the rain had stopped, we hit the road for Argentina.

The last few kilometers to the border on the Chilean side is perfect asfalto.  There is not need for a sign demarcating the border because the hideous ripio that starts as soon as one hits Argentinean soil cannot be missed. 

The border fence, Chile on the left and Argentina on the right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Asfalto on the left, ripio on the right.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We slogged on into an easterly wind until we hit the Argentinean border control where a small hosteria exists.  However, there was no room at the inn, so after munching a few over-priced ham and cheese sandwiches we hit the road to Rio Grande.  After four kilometer the rain came pelting down again.  It looked thick and ugly to the south so after slogging through the rain for another kilometer we turned around and headed back to the border post.

Back at the border post we sought out Adriana and Latitia, the border control centre cleaning ladies, who allow cyclists and hitch-hikers to use their kitchen area as a doss house.  There is a stove, electrical outlets and a great heater that has kept us warm through a freesing day and what promises to be a less than warm night.  We were joined firstly by Elviro, a young Swiss lady cycling to Ushuaia, and later by Jaco, a Dutch chap hitch-hikiing northwards.  Latitia kindly sorted out access to wifi and opened up the showers (with piping hot water) for us.  All in all a lot better than wild camping somewhere in the wind and the rain which is what would have happened if we hadn't turned back.  What seemed like a disastrous situation turned into a great afternoon and evening. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
No bicycles allowed in Adriana and Latitia's area!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 1,627 km (1,010 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0