Rio Grande - The eighth step ... Patagonia etc once more. - CycleBlaze

February 16, 2020

Rio Grande

The weather looked much better this morning and by half past eight all four of us were set to go.  Jaco went off to hitch a ride while Elviro quickly disappeared southwards as we made our way up the hill out of San Sebastian.

The first thirty five kilometers disappeared in what seemed like a flash as we had a nice tailwind to help us along.  However, the wind slowly moved around to attack us from the western side which meant we had to work hard not to drift across into the road as it gusted.  The route itself wasn't particularly exciting but we mostly enjoyed the ride.

Approaching Rio Grande, which seems very unappealing when entered from the north, we saw the local rugby club.  Certainly the southern-most in the world of which I am aware.

The sign on the building is unclear but it reads "Rio Grande Rugby Hockey Club". Not sure what the hockey is all about because all I could see were three rugby fields.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A hostel for motor cyclists on the northern entrance to Rio Grande. Didn't look very appealing.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had booked an apartment in Rio Grande for the next two nights using Booking.com ... or so I had thought !  Upon our arrival we discovered I had booked it only from tomorrow night.  Thankfully it was vacant tonight so we went off to buy some food while the duena finished getting it ready for us.  Her name is Silvia and is a real honey.  She noticed my camera with its long lens as I was taking my wallet out to pay and asked "¿Es para aves?".  She and her husband enjoy birds and she suggested we visit the bird centre which we passed as we entered town on Ruta 3.  A few hours later her husband arrived with three books on Patagonian birds and wildlife for us to read.

Judging by the images on windy.com it seems that it will be best if we only head further south on Thursday.  We have a bit of work to do and sufficient time to get to Ushuaia so that suits us fine.

Today's ride: 83 km (52 miles)
Total: 1,710 km (1,062 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0