Puyuhuapi - The eighth step ... Patagonia etc once more. - CycleBlaze

December 30, 2019

Puyuhuapi

I counted twelve bicycles at the campsite this morning.  In addition, we passed six cyclists going north, three of whom claimed not not have taken a ride (the only other we have met going north who has claimed this was Alee Denham two years ago).  Finally, Martin and David whom we met at Yelcho caught up to us just outside Puyuhuapi.  The cyclists staying at our campsite tonight are Henri and Henny plus Katie, the young Chilean woman whom we first met in Chaiten.  So it has really been a day for hanging out with other cycle tourists.

Everyone in the campsite this morning was slightly shocked to realise that it was Sunday and that the shops in La Junta were closed.  We waited until ten o'clock hoping that one would be open and after cycling around the whole village came upon one at the COPEC fuel station that wasn't  just open, it had all we needed.

Henri and Henny caught up to us at our first drinks break.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Coming from the opposite direction at this point was Chris, a Canadian who has ridden from Ushuaia (he did take a lift somewhere along the way).
Heart 0 Comment 0

About two thirds of today's roller coaster route was on tar.  The ripio that would take us the last third to Putuhuapi wasn't too bad but was also undulating.  The ripio starts at the northern end of Laguna Risopatron which was framed wonderfully by some snow capped hills.  Last time we didn't see much of this because it was all shrouded in clouds.

Martin and David disappear down the ripio towards Puyuhuapi.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nearly there!
Heart 1 Comment 0

The hot weather and dusty road with quite a lot of traffic meant we were pretty grubby by the time we sped down the last hill into Puyuhuapi. 

Along with Katie, we headed straight for Camping Rio del Mar where we had stayed two years previously.  Henny and Henri were already there and we enjoyed a cold beer to wash the dust from our throats.  Many of the other cyclists are camping at other in or around Puyuhuapi so it is a lot quieter this evening.  

Tomorow we are heading for the hanging glacier at Ventisquero, a short ride of about twenty five kilometers that is going to have to serve as a rest day.

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 393 km (244 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0