Miraflores - The eighth step ... Patagonia etc once more. - CycleBlaze

January 13, 2020

Miraflores

I wasn't sure whether we would be leaving Rio Tranquilo today or not.  Leigh hasn't felt 100% the past two days and I discovered that one of the arms on my rear V-brake was sticking.  In the end I managed to free the arm and Leigh was determined to push on.  Neither of us had slept well while in Rio Tranquilo and we felt moving on to a quieter place would give us a chance to rest.  This is not a poor reflection on Bella Vista as a campsite - it is one of the best we have had - but being busy it wasn't very restful.

After stocking up, very poorly as it turned out, we set off up the hill out of Rio Tranquilo.  One climbs 260 meters before slowly dropping down again via a series of roller coaster hills.  Halfway up I remembered that I had forgotten to fill up with water.  I managed to find a cabana on the road where they kindly gave me some and when I got back to the bikes Leigh told me we had forgotten to buy wine when doing our shopping.  Given that I have run out of decent coffee it means I am heading into beverage purgatory.

The climb out of Puerto Rio Tranquilo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a welcome sign to see after a 260 meter climb on ripio.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lago General Carera.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It is drier now that we are further south-east and the vegetation has got more shrubby with fewer trees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The views heading west.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The views heading west.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The views heading west.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The views heading west.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We headed for a campsite about half a kilometer off the main road that had had good reviews on iOverlander.  When we arrived the gate was closed and there was no-one there.  We let ourselves in hoping someone would return later but so far no-one has.  The refugio and the new shower block are locked up but the old shower block with only cold water was open so we could wash the dust off and use the toilets.

While making supper in the open fogon, another cyclist arrived -  Bronwyn from Pittsburg, USA who is also traveling south.  Soon afterwards, Philipe and his daughter Isabel from Switzerland arrived.  They are going north after starting in Ushuaia seven weeks ago.  He asked after a New Zealander, Tom, whom we had met earlier today and also Jeff and his wife, a Dutch couple.  They are all going north and have been together at various times.  Tom was also traveling with his wife but she had decided to catch the bus from Cochrane to Rio Tranquilo while he, in his own words, was doing it EFI (every ^@#$ inch) of the way.  The large group we had up to Villa Manihuales has all broken up and the last whom we saw were Henri and Henny in Rio Tranquilo.

Our campsite with Bronwyn's tent in the foreground and Philipe and Isabel's in the background.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride was quite tough in places, it being another very hot day, but the views certainly made up for it.  It is also nice to end the day in a quiet campsite with a few other cycle travelers.  Cycle tourists in general are great people and almost always easy to get along with.

Later in the evening, after we had hit the sack, an camper van arrived and soon after that the owner so we will be able to get into the refugio tomorrow.

Today's ride: 31 km (19 miles)
Total: 892 km (554 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Ian FindlayHi Jean-Marc and Leigh
I have been enjoying your journal and its great pictures. Seems like you are having another amazing trip.
Should you have the time I would like to pick your brain. My wife and I, both early 60s from Somerset West, South Africa have done a number of cycle tours over the past 10 years, mostly Europe and SA (www.wobblingwinos.blogspot.com if you are interested). Our steel Dawes tourers are getting a bit tired and I have long dreamed about getting Thorn bikes. Am I right that your experience with your's has been good?
Did you have them sent to you in SA or did you go to have them measured up in the UK? I had our Dawes bikes sent to SA a number of years ago and that was a bit of a cockup with import charges, wrong components, etc.
Thorn have changed their offering a bit this year - the Raven is no longer on the list. If you have seen the new brochure, have you any recommendations?
I would appreciate your thoughts if you have a moment.
Enjoy your trip and happy pedaling.
Cheers
Ian Findlay
ianfindlay7@gmail.com
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Ian FindlayHi Ian

We imported our Thorn Ravens fully built up. We passed on all our measurements (height, inner leg size, arm reach, size of underwear etc) and the bikes arrived and fitted us perfectly.

The one problem was a screw up with duties, which we were eventually able to overcome. Bicycles from the EU are duty free into South Africa. but the wording and coding on the invoice had to be correct to avoid paying duties. I am not sure of the codes or the wording but Sarah Dunn at Thorn could refer to my order to see what was eventually issued. Also note that with Brexit these conditions will not necessarily apply indefinitely.

You must also ensure that the total invoice amount is below the threshold for an individual so as not to have to register as an importer. If you order two bikes, get two separate invoices! I eventually had to have the invoice made out to my Landrover service center because Thorn had shipped the bicycles as a single item.

It is a pity about the Raven being discontinued. It is a truly capable and reliable long-term touring bicycle. The gap between the Nomad and the Mecury is too big IMHO.

Hope this helps. Shout if you have further questions.

Regards
Jean-0Marc
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Ian FindlayTo Jean-Marc StrydomVery many thanks Jean-Marc. That's a great help as last time I was hit with import duty as well as VAT and then a fine because the online bike shop undervalued the bikes to save on their insurance. So I was more than a bit peeved.
Are you on tubeless tires? And do you think the Rohloff hubs are worth the extra bucks?
Enjoy your time and thanks again
Cheers
Ian
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomHi Ian

They will add VAT but you will be exempt from UK VAT on the Thorn side. Not yet tubeless - they help a lot in South Africa because of the dubbeltjies but elsewhere we have had very few punctures on Schwalbe Marathon Duremes and none on Schwalbe Marathon Mondials. One of the best cycling decisions we ever made was to go Rohloff - without a doubt worth the extra initial outlay and could even prove more cost effective in the long run.

Regards
Jean-Marc

ps. Love your wine scale!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomHi Ian

They will add VAT but you will be exempt from UK VAT on the Thorn side. Not yet tubeless - they help a lot in South Africa because of the dubbeltjies but elsewhere we have had very few punctures on Schwalbe Marathon Duremes and none on Schwalbe Marathon Mondials. One of the best cycling decisions we ever made was to go Rohloff - without a doubt worth the extra initial outlay and could even prove more cost effective in the long run.

Regards
Jean-Marc

ps. Love your wine scale!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago