Mercedes - The eighth step ... Patagonia etc once more. - CycleBlaze

March 7, 2020

Mercedes

We really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Dolores.  At $65 US it is more than we want to pay but it was value for money with quality accommodation and the best breakfast we have eaten so far.  All the food was freshly prepared and of a good quality.  A far cry from some of the offerings of stale bread and pre-packed pastries that we have suffered so far.

Once on the road it became clear that the wind would not be kind to us.  It blew freshly into oiur faces the whole way and quite frankly, the ride was an unenjoyable slog.

Quality road today with a good shoulder.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Feedlot - the first we have seen in South America. In my opinion these places are the worst form of meat production. Harmful to the environment, wasteful of food resources and cruel to the animals involved.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We check out a few hotels in Mercedes.  The Hotel Mercedes was asking $40 US for a filthy, dingy room. The Hotel Colon around the corner was fifteen dollars more and, while not a cesspit like the Hotel Mercedes, was also not worth the price.  But options in Mercedes are limited and we had to settle with it.  It turned out that there is a big motor cycle event in Mercedes this weekend so we had to take what we could get.

Some of the motor cycles lined along the river front.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A great beach at the river front in Mercedes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Later this afternoon we took a walk down to the riverside - which is quite attractive - before getting a so-so pizza at the most expensive hotel in town, the Gran Hotel Brisas del Hum.  Not particularly good at $100 US per night and the pizza were pretty shoddy too.

Some days are best forgotten about.

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 2,195 km (1,363 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0