Ferry to Puerto Natales - The eighth step ... Patagonia etc once more. - CycleBlaze

January 26, 2020 to January 27, 2020

Ferry to Puerto Natales

The fears about the size of the meal servings was re-enforced at breakfast - one stale cheese and ham sandwich plus a tiny muffin.  I tried my best to coax a second helping out of the catering staff but to no avail.  We resolved to stock up when the ferry docked at it second stop of Puerto Eden at around midday.  However, half an hour after breakfast had closed, one of the staff very kindly slipped me two extra sandwiches.  I had to take back all the bad thoughts I had had about them.  

However, our survival instincts had already kicked in and when we docked at Puerto Eden we rushed off the boat and bought some sopapillas, chicken mayonnaise sandwiches and jam doughnuts.  Enough to feed a lot more than two cyclists.  Ironically, the servings at lunch were enormous so maybe our fears were groundless.

We have had some pleasant birding today.  Apart from some inshore species such as Flightless Steamer Ducks South American Terns and various gulls we have also picked up a number of pelagic birds including Southern Giant Petrels, Chilean Skuas and countless Black-browed Albatrosses.

Black-browed Albatross. Pretty much trash birds in the channels of Magallenes but it is difficult not trying to photograph them.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Black-browed Albatross.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We also had some good dolphin sightings. 

I think this is a Peale's Dolphin.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Supper once again made us doubt the galley staff - a piece of boiled chicken and a scoop of half-cooked rice.  I couldn't manage all of the small amount of rice and the leftover chicken sandwiches from Puerto Eden were brought into play.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0