El Blanco - The eighth step ... Patagonia etc once more. - CycleBlaze

January 5, 2020

El Blanco

Breakfast was included in the price at the hostal so we tucked in.  There's not many things as ravenous as a cycle tourist.  After a last minute stocking up on groceries we hit the road out of Coyhaique.  It is mostly an unpleasant grind with lots of impatient traffic - the airport lies about fifty kilometers south of the town and vehicles screamed by in close convoy to the rhythm of the aeroplanes landing and taking off.

The first twenty five kilometers out of Coyhaique are a series of small climbs.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Roadside shrine to Gauchita Gil, Argentina's 19th century Robin Hood, who is also very popular in Chile.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Twin waterfalls.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Similar photo but different location to two years ago - hay, sun and wind.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We worked hard up the small climbs until the high point for the day at the twenty seven kilometer mark.  Thankfully, the wind was blowing strongly over our right shoulders to help us along.  

The drop down into El Blanco.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The drop down towards El Blanco gave us the chance to pick up some speed and I hit the fastest I have ever been on a loaded bicycle - 75 Km/h!

75.8 Km/h !
Heart 0 Comment 0

The campsite Las Confluencias just west of El Blanco is an absolute gem.  It has covered camping, modern bathrooms with piping hot showers and one of the best refugios I have ever seen.  It is going to be a struggle to get out of here, particularly since the weather forecast promises rotten weather until the weekend.

The refugio at Las Confluencias.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After working for a while, we were pleasantly surprised by the arrival of Eloise and Lewis.  Suddenly wine o'clock was brought forward by an hour or two.

With Eloise and Lewis.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 km (23 miles)
Total: 663 km (412 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0